Rich Piana Autopsy - Causes of Death
Back in August, we reported on the unfortunate and untimely death of bodybuilding personality Rich Piana. Since then, there have been nothing but rumors and speculation about why he died so suddenly. We recently came across the autopsy report from the Floridian coroner who did Rich's autopsy. We know this is a sensitive subject, and we're reporting this with the utmost sensitivity to his friends, fans, followers, and family.
Florida’s District Six Medical Examiner completed Mr. Piana’s autopsy, and the following was reported:
- An enlarged heart (and “significant heart disease”)
- Mild coronary atherosclerosis (plaque buildup on the artery walls)
- Fatty liver
- Congested thyroid
- Congested kidneys
- Discolored kidneys
- Ischemic brain tissue (i.e. brain tissue that had lost blood supply)
- Necrotic brain tissue (i.e. dead cells)
- Brain edema (swelling)
- Ascites (accumulation of protein-containing fluid in the abdomen)
According to Anthony Roberts, who requested and released the autopsy report online, ..."By far the lengthiest part of the autopsy’s notes concerned his lungs, which were filled with fluid and swollen (bronchopneumonia pleural effusion wih edema), showed apparent fat emboli and micro-abscesses, plus displayed both acute and chronic inflammatory cells."