- Q&A Columns
- Contest Photos
- Contest Results
- Athlete Profiles
- Product Reviews
Baking With Bayan
It's truly possible to eat donuts and creamy parfaits everyday and still fulfill your fitness goals! Bayan Sharafi is a passionate protein chef/baker who recently won Muscle Insider's Best Protein Chef 2017 Contest, and is taking protein foods and snacks to the next level. His only goal is to bring you the most creative, macro-balanced treats and food recipes that satisfy you and allow for variety in your diet. Bland diets work because they're easy, but they're boring. Everything is made with clean ingredients so even if you're prepping for a competition, want to lose weight, or gain lean muscle, you can make and fit any of the recipes into your plan.
Eggplant Parmesan Burger Buns
Get more veggies in your favourite burger and you’ll even boost the flavour
2–4 eggplant slices (½" thick)
½ cup bread crumbs
1–4 egg whites
2 tbsp Parmesan cheese
1 tbsp fresh oregano, diced
½ cup mozzarella cheese (or any cheese of your choice), grated
4–6 tbsp tomato sauce
7 oz. extra-lean ground beef (or ground sirloin; change amount as desired)
½ avocado, sliced (optional)
1. Fill a medium-sized pan with about a quarter to a half inch of olive oil. You’ll be using this to fry your eggplant burgers. Heat to a temperature slightly above medium.
2. Cut your eggplant into half-inch slices, then pat down with a paper towel and absorb as much water as you can.
3. In two separate bowls, pour bread crumbs and egg whites. Dip each slice of eggplant into egg white first, then into bread crumbs until it’s completely coated.
4. Once breaded, gently put into oil and fry for about 1 to 2 minutes each side—just enough to make them crispy and golden brown.
5. When they’re all done, place in a baking dish. Then pour tomato sauce, oregano, and cheese over them and broil at low until cheese is melted. Top with Parmesan cheese.
6. Eat them as they are or make a burger patty and turn these flavourful purple plants of goodness into burger buns.