- Q&A Columns
- Contest Photos
- Contest News
- Athlete Profiles
- Product Reviews
Daniela DeFeo is a certified health coach, published author, lifestyle/fitness model and wellness brand ambassador. She encourages a holistic approach to wellness by advocating the importance of health, fitness, nutrition, self-care and sustainable living.
Blueberry Lemon Protein Scones
An easy and delicious scone recipe, minus all the butter and sugar! Enjoy this protein-packed treat that is moist, soft with the right amount of crisp - just like traditional scones. Perfect for breakfast or to appease your sweet tooth.
- 1 cup all-purpose or flour of choice
- 1 ⅓ cup oat flour
- ½ cup vanilla protein powder
- 1 tbsp baking powder
- ½ tsp salt
- 3 tbsp coconut sugar
- ¼ cup unsweetened apple sauce
- ¼ cup almond milk
- juice of ½ lemon
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- ½ cup coconut oil (must be very cold, grated*)
- 1 ½ cup fresh blueberries (lightly tossed with 1 tbsp of flour)
- Preheat the oven to 450F, line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Mix the flour, oats, baking powder, salt and sugar in a large bowl.
- In another bowl, mix the apple sauce, almond milk, lemon juice and vanilla extract. Pour into flour mixture.
- Add cold grated coconut oil - mix until it comes together. (Do not overwork - dough should be soft, slightly sticky)
- Lightly toss blueberries with flour. Fold into dough.
- Put dough onto baking pan, dust with a little flour and gently shape into a circle. Cut into 10 equal pieces. Bake for about 15-20 minutes until golden brown and crisp on the outside.
*Coconut Oil - MUST be solid, not soft. Put in freezer for 30 minutes, for easier grating thereafter.
Want more protein? Top with Greek yogurt, peanut butter or protein powder mixed with a little water to make a thick paste!
Makes 10 Scones.
Nutritional Breakdown:Calories 138 Carbs 20g Fat 4g Protein 5g