- Q&A Columns
- Contest Photos
- Contest Results
- Athlete Profiles
- Product Reviews
Joe Weider Dies
Joe Weider Dies
This past week we reported that Nasser El Sonbatty died and now we regret to report that Joe Weider has also died according to sources. Joe was born on November 29th, 1919 making him 93 years of age at the time of his death.
Joe Weider Bio
Joe Weider was born in Montreal, Quebec, Canada in a Jewish family who had emigrated from Poland to Montreal. He published the first issue of a magazine called "Your Physique" in 1936 at the incredible age of just 14 years old. He later went on to become the publisher of countless bodybuilding and fitness magazines including Muscle & Fitness, Flex, Men's Fitness and Shape which are still on newstands today.
Joe and his brother Ben Weider were the founders of the IFBB (International Federation of BodyBuilders) along with the creators of the Mr. Olympia, and the Ms. Olympia. He and his Ben were also one of the top manufacturers of fitness equipment and sports supplements in the world.
In 1953, Joe Weider changed the name of his magazine "Your Physique" to "Muscle Builder" magazine. Joe later changed the name to Muscle & Fitness in 1980. Other magazines published by Weider's publishing empire include "Mr. America", "Muscle Power", Shape magazine, Fit Pregnancy, Men's Fitness, Living Fit, Prime Health and Fitness, Cooks, Senior Golfer, and Flex, Jem Magazine and Monsieur. In 2003, Joe Weider sold sold his publishing empire to a company called American Media publishers of Fit Pregnancy, Natural Health, Star, OK!, Enquirer, Soap Opera Digest, Country Weekly, Globe to name a few.
Weider has written numerous books, including The Weider System of Bodybuilding (1981), and co-wrote the 2006 biography Brothers Of Iron with Ben Weider. In 1983, Weider was named "Publisher of the Year" by The Periodical and Book Association.
Joe Weider's 10 Predicitons
I PREDICT that civilization will speed up in every phase and that the stresses and strains on mankind will continue to increase.
- I PREDICT that the resulting increase in mental and physical illness will force the world to recognize the importance of systematic exercise and physical activities to prevent and combat the evils of civilization.
I PREDICT that bodybuilding will become the chief form of systematic exercise and physical activity and that it will come to be looked upon as one of the greatest forces in the field of preventive medicine.
- I PREDICT that a full realization of the importance of muscular development will sweep the world and that the sport of bodybuilding will grow by leaps and bounds.
I PREDICT that the principles of good bodybuilding, which include balanced diets, adequate sleep, plenty of fresh air, ample sunshine, and regular work-outs, will become basic principles of living.
- I PREDICT that bodybuilding will become the stepping stone to every other sport and physical activity.
I PREDICT that the art of relaxation, which is one of the fundamental principles in bodybuilding, will become more and more important as the tensions increase and that relaxation will be universally taught and advocated.
- I PREDICT that bodybuilding will spread to every corner of the world and that it will one day be recognized as the king of all sports and physical activities.
I PREDICT that those who practice bodybuilding will live healthier, happier and more useful lives.
- I PREDICT that bodybuilding will one day become one of the greatest forces in existence and that it may be hailed as the activity which actually saved civilization from itself.