- Q&A Columns
- Contest Photos
- Contest News
- Athlete Profiles
- Product Reviews
New Improved Jym Pre X Formula Preview
Just a couple of days ago, Scott Welch and the Muscle Insider team were chosen to test drive the new Pre JYM X formula before its official launch! This was a huge honor but it also came with a responsibility. If we tried it and didn’t like it, we would have to report that. How would this affect our relationship with Jim Stoppani who wrote a column for us for many years? If we tried it and really liked it, we would report that but knew we would face criticism by some of their competitors and may even be accused of being paid off to say it was good! Sometimes you just can’t win when reviewing supplements, even if they’re from reputable companies with good formulas.
Original Pre JYM vs. Pre JYM X
The original Pre JYM formula was one of the first pre-workouts with a formula that used full doses of research-backed ingredients and didn’t use a proprietary blend on their label. This quickly became the market leader on Bodybuilding.com and later crushed much of the competition at GNC. The new Pre JYM X has a totally new look and an improved formula that truly takes things to the next level.
Larger Serving Size
Before we even get into the formula itself, we see a huge change in the amount of active ingredients, going from a 20-gram serving to now having 38 grams per serving! By comparison to other massive dosed pre-workouts, Pre-Kaged Elite by Kaged Muscle has 36 grams, Mutant ALL-IN has 28 grams and Overkill by Proline has 25.5 grams.
Higher Doses of Key Ingredients
- The new Pre JYM X maintains lots of the same ingredients but many are at a much higher dosage. The Muscle Matrix component still provides 6 grams of BCAAs at a 2:1:1 ratio which is the same dose as the original formula.
- They have doubled the dose of Con-Cret® branded Creatine HCl to now have 4 grams.
- Beta-Alanine dose has been doubled to 4 grams but they are no longer using the CarnoSyn® branded version of Beta Alanine.
- Betaine dose has increased from 1.5 grams to 3 grams and they are now using two different forms of Betaine (2 grams of traditional Betaine and 1 gram of Betaine Nitrate NO3-T®).
- The total Citrulline content has gone from 6 grams (of Citrulline Malate only) to 10 grams in total (Citrulline Malate making up 8 grams plus 2 grams of Citrulline Nitrate NO3-T®).
- Alpha-GPC dose has now doubled to 300 mg.
Same Doses of Other Key Ingredients
- Pre JYM X keeps the same amount of Caffeine Anhydrous at 300 mg
- L-Tyrosine stays the same at a whopping 1.5 grams.
- Huperzine A stays the same at 50 mcg
- We said earlier they have now added Betaine Nitrate NO3-T® and Citrulline Nitrate NO3-T®.
- They also added Pine Bark Extract at 180 mg to help increase blood flow.
- 100 mg of Theanine which many feel can help "take the edge off" stimulants to round out the energizing experience.
- 100 mg of Methylliberine (as Dynamine®) and this makes sense given that a recent university study showed that the use of caffeine combined with Dynamine provides a much longer-lasting boost of energy than caffeine alone.
- 25 mg of Theacrine (as TeaCrine®).
What Did The Remove?
The only thing they removed (ingredient wise) from the original formula was Beet Root Extract (500 mg). Scott Welch believes this ingredient was likely only in the original formula for the nitrates contained in it which help increase blood flow. Now that they’ve added two sources of nitrates (Citrulline Nitrate and Betaine Nitrate) there would be no reason to keep this ingredient. They also reduced sugar content by 1 gram which was a good thing to lose!
- The original Pre JYM pre-workout came in a 20-serving or 30-serving container in the following 7 different flavors: Grape Candy, Pink Lemonade, Rainbow Sherbet, Strawberry Kiwi, Tangerine, Pineapple Strawberry, and Black Cherry.
- The new Pre JYM X pre-workout comes in the 20-serving container size in the following 3 "fun" flavors: Shockwave, Tiger’s Blood, and Rise ‘N’ Grind. We tried Rise ‘N’ Grind which had an orange citrus taste that was delicious.
Look for Pre JYM X at your favorite retailer soon or grab it directly from the company. Price is $64.99 for 20 servings which works out to $3.25 per serving.